[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Lewis's Woodpecker gone!

  • From: Rhandy Helton <rjhelton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 12:50:09 -0500

The Lewis's Woodpecker that has been at the Rodeo/Fairgrounds in Junction
appears to have departed. He has not been observed since Sunday (Apr 22nd) 7:00
p.m. and has not come to his consistent roost site since Saturday night past. I
think the bird headed northwest, however should I re-find him will promptly
report. This bird, first located on January 5th, has been seen by literally
hundreds of observers from all over the USA and England.

Migration has picked up some in the area with good number of Nashville,
Orange-crowned and a few Wilson's Warblers at the South Llano River State Park
bird blinds. I had a Zone-tailed Hawk today right over the park office at 11:00
a.m.with special thanks to the mobbing noise created by the Barn Swallows
around the hawk. The Junction Tennis Center (H83 north .5-.75 north of IH 10 on
the right) is a great place early in a.m. for skylarking Cassin's Sparrows as
well as Clay-colored Sparrow, Lark Bunting, Bullock's Oriole, Vermilion
Flycatcher, many Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the short grass. Their is a small
dirt road around the courts that you can walk and get these species.

Golden-cheeked Warbler and Black-capped Vireo can still be found along the
asphalt road that goes up-canyon behind the park office. You can hike the
Agarita Birdblind trail and come out on this road but it is much birdier to
walk toward the Maintenance Area and then turn right by host trailers thru the
3 orange cones. An excellent number of BCVI's along this road and then when you
get to the windmill stay to the right in larger trees for GCWA. The vireo's can
be difficult to get a good view of but persistence pays off if stealthy. I
rarely get off the road, if you do would be wise to spray first---I've aleady
heard some horror stories concerning ticks/chiggers. Rattlesnakes have been
seen also. BCVI are also calling near the Lora's Blind (1st one you come to on
main park road) and the birds have been coming to water at the blind.

The Wastewater Ponds (FM 2169) on east side of IH10 had several shorebird
species this morning including: Pectoral Sandpiper, Baird's & Least Sandpiper,
Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper and Wilson's Phalarope. Check the pond
furtherest from the entrance as it is the only one with mud/sludge. A few
Yellow-headed Blackbirds are around also but waterfowl are fewer each day.

Off to SE Texas and upper Tx. coast next week.
Rhandy J. Helton

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
Junction, Tx.