[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] La Paloma area, Cameron Co.

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:26:05 -0500

Piddled about mostly south of the border fence today on a project along the
levees.   Most of this was centered east and west of La Paloma and south of
the fence.  Hot and steamy..   A few FOY birds.  Most notable a single
White-rumped Sandpiper and a few other common migrants.  I have never seen
so many Tropical Kingbirds, in one 1/8th mile stretch we had Tropical,
Western and Couch'a s plus Scissor-tailed.  Tropicals are total trash birds
here, and I can recall a time when folks piled into just a handful of
places to see them....In areas, they out number the Couch's on the levees.

  Sort of a funny thing...I heard a call coming from the river, perhaps on
the Mexican side  that stopped me dead in my tracks, ...Heard it a second
time and thought Collared Forest-Falcon!!  Was getting pretty pumped up
about it but eventually as we drew closer, realized it was just a distant
Peacock. But it sure had me going for a bit.

  The woods along the levees were just saturated with birds but did not
have time to spend on those.  Heard a few Tyrannulets.  Did not have a
chance to look for migrants but there were loads of swallows going over.

  I will leave it to the local birders to comment on access to the levees
for birders...Many openings remain awaiting gates.  We encountered the
Border Patrol several times and they were always polite once we stated our
business there.

Brush Freeman
361-655-7641
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca de los Alacranes., Utley,Texas

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds