[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Hutton's Vireo, St. Edward's Park Austin

  • From: Chris Warren <warrech.gcwa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 16:23:29 -0500

Today while surveying for Golden-cheeked Warblers for the CIty of Austin -
Wildland Conservation Division (Balcones Canyonlands Preserve) I ran across
a singing male HUTTON'S VIREO in St Edward's Park. One of our long-term
GCWA monitoring sites encompasses a section of the park. A few weeks ago on
a section of the plot that is not accessible to the public I heard what I
eventually ID'd as a Hutton's Vireo but never saw the bird. Last week I
heard it again briefly but couldn't pin-point it. Today in St. Edward's
Park (publicly accessible) I heard the bird very close to me and was able
to pish him in. Heart-thumping looks. I called my friend and co-worker,
Jason Hunt and he came around and was able to get great looks too.

Its funny to think that I look at Golden-cheeked Warblers all day long and
yet my pulse goes up for a Hutton's Vireo but there you have it. At least
in St. Edward's Park HUVI is definitely the more rare species. Perhaps this
guy has a mate somewhere in the area. With as hard as it has been to catch
up to him, finding a nest may be difficult to say the least.

I also ran into an OVENBIRD (FOS) in the park this morning.

Map: http://g.co/maps/haf3a

Chris Warren
City of Austin-Water Utility: Wildland Conservation Division
Balcones Canyonlands Preserve

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds