[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Hornsby Bend

  • From: Isaac Sanchez <sanchez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 11:26:32 -0500

We made a quick visit (about 1 hour) to Hornsby Bend on Easter afternoon.
Most notable was a group of about a dozen American Golden Plovers.  You
needed a scope to pick them out on the north side of the main road where
they were in shallow standing water among the dillo dirt piles. Also present
with the Plovers were numerous peeps (assumed to be Least) and a couple of
Pectoral Sandpipers.  Even pond 1 east had ducks on it, which is somewhat
unusual, that included a few Gadwall as well as numerous Ruddy, Shoveler,
and Blue-wing Teal; Coots where everywhere.  Pond 2 had 3 Eared Grebes in
near breeding regalia.  Sometimes you get lucky not only in birding, but
also in photography.  I was pleased to catch this Blue-winged Teal in
flight:
https://picasaweb.google.com/100559297474933995697/NorthAmericanPhotoLifeList498#5729168833705978306

Isaac Sanchez
Austin

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds