[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] High Island and Vicinity 4/11

  • From: John Tharp <jlt290@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 21:56:06 -0500

Dennis Shepler and I spent the day birding High Island and the surrounding
area. Migrants were pretty good early but really declined later in the day.
We checked Bolivar midday and then headed over to Anahuac around 4 pm.
Around 130 species for the day. Highlights from each area are below.

High Island (Boy Scout, Smith Oaks, and Hooks)

Merlin - flying past the bridge early in the morning
Eastern Pewee
Yellow Bellied Sapsucker ~ 20
White Eyed Vireo
Blue headed Vireo
Red Eyed Vireo ~ 20
Tree Swallow ~ 500 on the power lines below Boy Scout
R.C. Kinglet
B.G. Gnatcatcher
Wood Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Cedar Waxwing

Tennessee Warbler ~ 30, mostly early and fairly vocal
Northern Parula - 4
Blackburnian Warbler - 1
Cerulean Warbler - 2 males at Smith Oaks, very vocal
Black and White Warbler ~ 12
American Redstart - 1
Prothonotary Warbler - 1
Worm Eating Warbler - 3
Swainson's Warbler - 2, including one very vocal and cooperative bird early
before 8am
Kentucky Warbler - 2
Common Yellowthroat
Hooded Warbler - 3
Yellow Breasted Chat - 3

Summer Tanager - 3
Scarlet Tanager - 2
Rose Breasted Grosbeak - 2
Indigo Bunting ~ 50
Blue Grosbeak
Orchard Oriole ~ 30

Bolivar
Tide was in so nothing spectacular. A decent assortment of the usual
suspects with the addition of several Red Knots and a few Long billed
Curlew.

Anahuac
Currently plenty of shorebird habitat with large concentrations of the
usual shorebirds and waders.

Fulvous Whistling Duck ~ 100 between Skillern and the main portion of the
refuge
Green Winged Teal
American (2) and Least Bitterns (4 and vocal)
King Rail
Virginia Rail
Sora
American Golden Plover - several
Whimbrel - 2
Baird's Sandpiper - 3
Wilson's Snipe
Marsh and Sedge Wren

Yellow Headed Blackbird  - 2, along the entry road just below 1985.

Good Birding,

John Tharp
Houston, TX

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds