[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Hazel Spring Hawkwatch...

  • From: Dane Ferrell <daneferrell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 21:18:39 -0500

Today at Hazel Bazemore County Park, my Friends Carol Cwiklinski, Steve
Small, Lynn Guerra, and myself observed and counted the following
migrating Raptors:

Broad-winged Hawks = 479 (including a single movement of 328 Hawks. This
kettle/stream action began at around 12:30pm Corpus time).

Turkey Vultures = 32

Swainson's Hawks = 28

Sharp-shinned Hawks = 8

Cooper's Hawks = 4

American Kestrels = 2

Mississippi Kite = 1(first of Spring)

Merlin = 1

Red-shouldered Hawk = 1

Osprey = 1

Total = 557

Nearly as impressive as the migrant-Raptor action were the resident-
Raptors observed. These included 2 Northern Harriers(they still think it's
Winter), 1 adult White-tailed Hawk and 1 immie White-tailed Hawk, 2 adult
Harris's Hawks, 1 adult Red-tailed Hawk, 2 adult Red-shouldered Hawks and
1 near-adult Red-shouldered Hawk(these 3 Birds escorted our migrant Red-
shouldered Hawk through their territory), 1 adult Crested Caracara, and
numerous local Black Vultures.

Overall, we saw 15 species of Raptors.

We also had an adult male Northern Parula bathe in our drip.

Hazel Rocks...

Dane Ferrell
Corpus Christi, TX

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds