[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Hays County 4/15/12

  • From: Rich Kostecke <rkost73@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 12:28:00 -0700

I spent about 3.5 hrs this morning (4/15/12) looping down from Austin into Hays
County to Buda, southeast to Niederwald to Kyle to San Marcos and then back up
to Austin. I tallied 70 species.  While songbird migrants were a bit scarce, I
did have some nice birds, notably Cinnamon Teal, Eared Grebe, migrating
Broad-winged Hawks, a singing Couch's Kingbird in San Marcos (San Marcos River
by the River Pub), and a good number of singing Grasshopper Sparrows
particularly in the grasslands around Niederwald.  My list for the morning is
detailed below.  In Williamson County, I had my FOS Green Heron in my NW Austin
neighborhood and a Yellow-breasted Chat in my backyard.  As I was in transit
south, there was a lift-off of 12+ Missippi Kites in Travis County along I35
between Austin and Kyle.

Blue-winged Teal  18
Cinnamon Teal  1
Northern Shoveler  3
Ruddy Duck  17
Northern Bobwhite  2
Pied-billed Grebe  2
Eared Grebe  1
Double-crested Cormorant  5
Great Blue Heron  5
Great Egret  13
Snowy Egret  1
Little Blue Heron  1
Cattle Egret  15
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron  6
Black Vulture  19
Turkey Vulture  14
Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Broad-winged Hawk  22
Red-tailed Hawk  3
Crested Caracara  5
American Coot  12
Killdeer  2
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Solitary Sandpiper  1
Greater Yellowlegs  3
Upland Sandpiper  2
Forster's Tern  1
Rock Pigeon  8
Eurasian Collared-Dove  6
White-winged Dove  12
Mourning Dove  41
Chimney Swift  1
Black-chinned Hummingbird  1
Belted Kingfisher  2
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  2
Couch's Kingbird  1     San Marcos
Western Kingbird  4
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher  42
Loggerhead Shrike  5
White-eyed Vireo  2
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  5
American Crow  1
Purple Martin  3
Barn Swallow  9
Cliff Swallow  26
Cave Swallow  1
Carolina Chickadee  1
Black-crested Titmouse  1
Carolina Wren  2
Bewick's Wren  3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Northern Mockingbird  55
European Starling  24
Clay-colored Sparrow  1
Lark Sparrow  13
Savannah Sparrow  6
Grasshopper Sparrow  26
Lincoln's Sparrow  5
White-crowned Sparrow  4
Summer Tanager  1
Northern Cardinal  33
Red-winged Blackbird  7
Eastern Meadowlark  3
Common Grackle  10
Great-tailed Grackle  99
Brown-headed Cowbird  6
House Finch  4
House Sparrow  31

Richard Kostecke, Ph.D.
The Nature Conservancy
318 Congress Ave., Austi
TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
n, Texas 78701
Email: rkost73@xxxxxxxxx or rkostecke@xxxxxxx