[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] East Texas Swallow-tailed kite

  • From: dennis shepler <dawgler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 21:04:49 -0500

Howdy Texbirders,
I made an east Texas "specialties run" today and missed the Bachman's
Sparrow at Boykin Springs, but while exploring CR 35 I spotted two
Swallow-tailed Kites and a single Broad-winged Hawk soaring over a clear
cut area.  The kites were lower than the hawk (and a couple of Turkey
Vultures) and were moving from the area of the Neches River toward Sam
Rayburn Reservoir.  I know that this species has been sighted in Jasper
county (Shackelford and Simons), but I have not seen any reports for this
spring, in that area.

Birds of note:

Jones Forest
Red-cockaded Woodpecker 2
Red-headed Woodpecker 4
Olive-sided Flycatcher 2 (surprise find!)
Brown-headed Nuthatch 2

Big Creek Scenic Area (as per Bob Behrstock's directions on texbirds
yesterday)
Acadian Flycatcher 2
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Louisiana Waterthrush  1 (I had missed it on the coast)
Summer Tanager 2

BoykinSprings
Prairie Warbler
I ran into Bob, with a group, in the area of Boykin Springs.  Bob's group
had heard the sparrow but did not see it.  Any suggestions for "sure fire"
Bachman's Sparrow sites?  I haven't seen it in years and have put it on my
bucket list.
Ciao
Dennis
West Harris County
--
W. Dennis Shepler

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds