[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Driveway birds - southwest Austin

  • From: LMarkoff <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:35:54 -0500

Hi Texbirds,

From about noon to 12:45p while I was waiting for the a/c tech to arrive to
do a spring check on our system I birded from our driveway.  I noticed some
hawks going through waaaay high.  Some were too high for me to id, but I
could make out several each of Broad-winged and Swainson's.  After a while I
started getting raptor neck, so refocused lower to the ground.

No migrants, but I had fun watching some cranked-up Chimney Swifts who
seemed to be in display mode.  I also watched a pair of chatty Lesser
Goldfinches as they went about their business and discovered they have a
nest in one of the Crepe Myrtles that lines our driveway.  I guess our
comings and goings don't bother them.

I'll have to pay more attention to what is happening in my driveway from now
on.

Btw, I heard then saw a Swainson's Thrush in the yard yesterday morning.

Lori Markoff
far southwest Austin

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds