[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Corpus Christi area today

  • From: Clay Taylor <Clay.Taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:52:58 -0400

Hi all -

A quick drive around the Nueces Bay / CC Airport area this morning.

Tule Lake -
LOTS of shorebirds, including Marbled Godwits, both Yellowlegs, about 100
American Avocets, and many hundreds of dowitchers.    There were a few
Gull-billed Terns doing courtship type behavior, and my FOS Least Terns.   We
did not see the King Rail, even after playing recordings, but it was there
yesterday (Friday) about 11am, so I do not know why it was a no-show today.
A singing Swamp Sparrow was neat, as were singing Long-billed Thrasher and
Olive Sparrows in the thin line of brush between the road and the marsh.

Hearns Ferry Road (the old landfill off Carbon Plant Road) -
Multiple singing Cassin's Sparrows down by the cattle pens, and a singing Field
Sparrow - the first time I have heard one singing in Corpus.   That area is
always a good place for Groove-billed Ani, but none today, although the local
Mockingbird was doing the Ani call.   Hmmm....

McKinzie Road - goes between IH 37 and TX 44
About 1 mile north of Rt 44, the fields to the west had standing water from
Thursday's thunderstorm, and there were hundreds of Golden Plovers, probably
20+ Upland Sandpipers, and at least 1 Pectoral Sandpiper.   The Goldens and a
few Uppies were pretty close to the road, so I parked and digiscoped them as
they fed on little worms that the water was evidently driving out of the
ground.   I got a few really neat videos.

Clay Taylor
TOS Life Member
Calallen (Corpus Christi),  TX
Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Clay.taylor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds