[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] CBSP field trip Mar. 27

  • From: Jimma Byrd <byrdjimma13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:49:44 -0500

 It was a beautiful day for an outing to CBSP. Cloudy and in the '70's - it
was a kind spring day to enjoy our closest State Park. We had 19
participants plus Kevin Ferguson, CBSP Interpreter. It was a very rewarding
day and the bird list follows. Although not listed, the wildflowers were
equally as showy, both on the drive down and within the park. A special
thank you to Kevin for leading the trip on what is normally his day off.
List below:

Colorado Bend SP (HOTE 019), San Saba, US-TX
Mar 27, 2012 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Comments...not all birds were seen or heard by all people.
Some observers were Christine Bessent, Daniel Hodges, Dana Green, Jimma
Byrd, Johana Huff, Eva Stuart, Jim Hewitt , Kevin Ferguson, Russel Nelson
33 species
Wild Turkey  1
Great Blue Heron  1
Black Vulture  4
Turkey Vulture  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     Heard only
Zone-tailed Hawk  1     Upriver from Falls. Buzzed RTHA
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  1
Inca Dove  1     Heard only
Belted Kingfisher  1
Golden-fronted Woodpecker  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Ladder-backed Woodpecker  3
Downy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  1
White-eyed Vireo  1     Heard only
Yellow-throated Vireo  1
Western Scrub-Jay  1
Common Raven  1
Carolina Chickadee  1
Black-crested Titmouse  1
Cactus Wren  1
Canyon Wren  3
Carolina Wren  1
Bewick's Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  4
Eastern Bluebird  1
Northern Mockingbird  1
Black-and-white Warbler  1     Heard only at Conference center
Yellow-rumped Warbler  5
Golden-cheeked Warbler  5     At least 3 heard only. 2 seen copulating in
flight!
White-throated Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  6

submitted by Jimma Byrd
San Saba county

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds