[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Buff-breasted Sandpiper 60-80 displaying Harris Co.

  • From: Stephan Lorenz <slorenz@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 19:52:09 -0400

I had about 60-80 Buff-breasted Sandpipers off 2100 east of Lake Houston on
Walton Turf Farm. The birds were scattered throughout. Amazingly several were
displaying to each other, doing the full wing spreading and chest puffing and I
always thought I'd have to go to the arctic breeding grounds to see this
amazing spectacle. Other birds here included Black-bellied Plovers, Whimbrel
(3), Pectoral Sandpipers, and a lone Baird's Sandpiper.

 There were also 4 Buff-breasted Sandpipers on the turf farm off Barber's Hill
Rd.

 San Jacinto Monument was pretty quiet except for many Dickcissels along the
entrance road and several male Painted Buntings singing away in the woodlands.
A single Reddish Egret joined a large flock of herons and egrets. Behind the
monument a good sized flock of terns and gulls was present with about 15 Black
Skimmers. Among the terns were 3 Black in breeding plumage and at least three
Sandwhich Terns.

 Stephan Lorenz
 Houston, TX

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds