[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Birding Galveston and Bolivar Penninsula 04/13/12 and 04/14/12

  • From: David Hanson <DHanson139@xxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 13:05:26 -0400

Jan and I went to Galveston to the Feather Fest Celebration and did some
birding on our own as well. Below is a link to some of the pictures we took
along the way.

San Louis Pass Friday morning. Tide was very high and South East winds very
 strong. The highlight of this trip was the diving Forster's Terns and the
mating  Least terns. There were some Royal Terns, Lots of Laughing Gulls,
Ring-billed  Gulls, Herring Gulls.

Lafitte's Cove Friday Afternoon was more of the same as the morning as far
as wind went. The woods were pretty quite although we did find 2 male
Painted  Buntings, One Indigo Bunting, and a couple of Orchard Orioles and two
Black and  White Warblers. There was also one Kingbird which I could not ID
due to it's  location but it was either a Western or one it's cousins.

Upland Sandpipers were in the yards in Indian Beach

Dos Vacas later that afternoon held several Orioles with most being Orchard
 Oriole females and a coule Baltimore Orioles with one being a male. There
was  also one beautiful Palm Warbler and a single Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher.(pics in  gallery) There were also several Green Herons that were
roosting in
the marsh  area trees.

Saturday morning I just thought the wind was bad on Friday. Had to be
25-30mph and I know at least two hats were blown into the water. One was mine.
This was a Bolivar Penninsula Shorebird trip and all the usual birds were
around  Including Piping Plovers, Wilson's Plover, Semipalmated Plover and
probably the  highlight of this trip was the Perigrine Falcon on Yacht Basin
Road and a Red  Knot on the beach near the HAS site on Retillion Rd. There
were also 3  Magnificient Frigatebirds following the Ferry as we returned to
Galveston  Island.

Whimbrels at Rollover Pass and several other roads on Bolivar

As we left the Island that evening we stopped at the Texas A&M Marine
Biology Campus intending to find the Tropical Kingbirds but no luck. We walked
the wetlands area trails and except for a couple of N Mockingbirds, Mottled
Ducks, Blue-winged Teal and some Great-tailed Grackles the place was  empty.

_http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBN
QB#!i=1795510199&k=pwdc5LR_
(http://hansonnaturephotography.smugmug.com/Nature/Texas-Birds/17293655_vKBNQB#!i=1795510199&k=pwdc5LR)

David and Jan Hanson

TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
Baytown/Mont Belvieu Area