[texbirds-freelists] [texbirds] Baird's Sparrow in Lajitas

  • From: Greg Cook <quaker1308@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 19:59:28 -0700

Texbirders,

While doing a little birding this afternoon along the Rio Grande in Lajitas, TX
(west of Big Bend for those not familiar), I flushed and then relocated a
Baird's Sparrow from the grasses along the floodplain just south of the Lajitas
Resort. The best way I can describe the location is to locate the small pond
across the street from the Calvary Post and follow one of the several pathways
down the hill to the floodplain. The bird was below the old, closed
Ocotillo Restaurant, the most prominent building that one sees while walking
floodplain, it has a small tower and a balcony overlooking the river.
The bird was loosely associating with a small group of Lincoln's Sparrows, 2
Savannah Sparrows and a Vesper Sparrow, all flushed from the same grassy area.
Other birds seen in this area was a Hooded Oriole, Summer Tanager, Cassin's
Kingbird, and 2 Yellow-headed Blackbirds along with the other common birds of
the area. Something I noted today that I haven't seen much in the past (due to
living in the DFW area) were breeding plumaged Yellow-rumped Warblers of both
subspecies side by side.

Good birding,

Greg Cook
Arlington, TX
(currently in
TEXBIRDS help file and Texas birding links at:
http://moonmountaingroup.com/texbirds
Lajitas, TX)