[texbirds] summer birding

  • From: <jkestner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TEXBIRDS <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2015 22:34:01 +0000

The other day, Byron Stone asked me if I had been to Hazel Bazemore Park in
Nueces County lately. I live practically within walking distance, so I was
ashamed to say I hadn't gone in a while -- so I went!

There were not many birds, it being mid-afternoon with wind gusts up to 39 mph,
but the mockingbirds were busy chasing each other, there were stilts on the
pond and a Carolina Wren called from the woods from the same place it always
calls.

As I sat with the motor off, I heard a Northern Mockingbird going thru his
repertoire: Groove-billed Ani, Great Kiskadee, Carolina Wren, Northern
Cardinal... and the thought occurred to me that I didn't need to see or hear
any bird other than the NoMo. It was like listening to a radio talk show or a
voicemail on the breeze to hear the songs of birds who are currently on
vacation but will return in no time at all.

Oh, some real life birds I spotted recently were a pair of Western Kingbirds
tending to their brood in a rickety nest on a telephone pole in the middle of
Beeville, TX! Those babies needed a comb...

Judy Kestner
Corpus Christi