[texbirds] spotted & e. towhee, pin tailed wydah

  • From: KEITH KINGDON <kekingdon@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds posting <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 13:18:09 -0600

I got a new yard bird (#142) for Christmas, an adult male spotted towhee. We
also continue to have a male Eastern towhee that has been around since
Thanksgiving. Last winter we had a non adult male pin tailed wydah that seemed
to hang with the chipping sparrows that it superficially resembles. It left in
late spring about the time the chippies did. I saw one this morning feeding at
the same location as before in our yard. This one has the multi feathered long
tail of a male but not the black and white body plumage. Likely the same bird
that has managed to survive a year outside of captivity.
Keith Kingdon
NW Houston Harris County