[texbirds] southeast Kleberg Co. 05/11/15

  • From: Rex Stanford <calidris.bairdii@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:17:53 -0500

Yesterday afternoon (Wednesday, 05/11/15) we birded southeast Kleberg
County. Our best shorebird location by far was a large field with standing
water on the north side of FM-628 somewhere east of where FM-1546 makes a
T-juncture with it and west of where FM-628 bears southward close to the
bay (and the drive to King's Inn). At that productive flooded field we
found an estimated 45-50 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, 10-15 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS,
65 KILLDEER, and 15-20 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS. (These are rough estimates,
for the birds seemed constantly on the  move and often disappeared into
furrows. We might well have missed species, thanks to the distance,
furrows, strong wind [with scope viewing], and traffic along FM-628 often
occluding our view.) We later found 18-20 GREATER YELLOWLEGS and 6-7 LESSER
YELLOWLEGS at a flooded, rather grassy, field/pasture along CR-2250E (north
side), a bit east of its juncture with CR-1120. Looking westward from
CR-1120 from just north of CR-2250E we found an estimated 80-90 distant
LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS. The estuary where Arana Creek enters the bay was
devoid of shorebirds and of most of the usual birds, including waders. We
did find a lone AMERICAN AVOCET in Arana Creek some distance west of its
bay-side estuary, immediately east of where that creek passes under
FM-1546. A total of at least 36 SANDHILL CRANES were found in late day west
of FM-772 shortly south of its juncture with CR-2250E. We had earlier found
over 20 of that species elsewhere in the area, but we are not sure but what
those individuals had joined others in late day to create the birds seem
from FM-722. We ventured as far north as Radiche Creek (following FM-722),
but that area was devoid of birds.
There had been heavy rains in the area, and there were many flooded areas
in fields and pastures. Some  unpaved roads that ordinarily invite  birding
were so formidably wet, sticky, and/or rutted yesterday as to prevent our
birding them. Numerous varieties of wildflowers were becoming abundant in
most places, and we imagine that within a week or two they may be peaking
in blossoms, creating a visual wonderland and providing plenty of pollen to
attract butterflies, insects, and, ultimately, avian species. It may be
hoped that the rains will hold off for a bit, providing more adequate
provision for birds and for spring-migration-hungry birders.
We have been absent from TEXBIRDS for many weeks now, thanks to moving from
McAllen to Weslaco, and we are glad now to be able to get back to some
birding when spring is upon us (and to be back monitoring and contributing
to TEXBIRDS)!

Rex and Birgit Stanford
Weslaco, TX