[texbirds] some thoughts on identifying American Black Ducks and Mottled Ducks on the Gulf coast

  • From: C-T Lee <cintylee@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 17:43:07 -0600

Hi there,
with all the discussion recently on identifying American Black and Mottled
Ducks, I thought I'd lay out some of my thoughts.  This is, I think, one of
the most notorious identification challenges on the Gulf coast because many
of our Mottled Ducks can be quite dark.  There have been numerous times
when I myself have gotten excited over an odd duck only to realize that it
was a dark Mottled.
Some discussion of "old" and "new" field marks are here

http://downtoearthquestions.blogspot.com/2014/12/notes-on-separating-mottled-and.html

I discuss the supraloral contrast that David Sarkozi alluded to in one of
his posts.

C-T Lee
Houston