[texbirds] sighting rare birds

  • From: Jack Eitniear <jackeitniear@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 08:10:30 -0700 (PDT)

TexbirdersAnother consideration with the sighting of rare birds is abundance.
How do we know the individual observed is the ONLY member of the species in the
area? We base presence by being observed in public areas or private areas that
are visited by birders. How many acres in Texas are not being visited by a bird
watcher? So when we say we are amazed that the Tropical Mockingbird was
observed st Sabine Woods one has to wonder how many more are their between that
point and Veracruz, Mexico (612 miles south of Brownsville) where they occur
naturally? As for distance it would take a birder in Brownsville, Texas only 12
driving hours to see them in the wild. They are listed on the Wings Tour list
for Veracruz as well as the Veracruz Bird Guide by Robert Straub. For a bird,
even a mockingbird, this is not a great distance. Just another thought to
ponder. Jack C. EitniearSan Antonio, TX