[texbirds] short eared owl 971 Granger

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 10:38:43 -0800 (PST)

I picked the wrong day to go birding around Granger Lake.  The previous night
was all nighter
lightning storm, and the morning 37 degrees with a very stiff wind. All the
meadowlarks and other
birds hung close to the clumps of grass on the south side (wind protected) edge
of the road. Rain drops
froze on my car window.
I did manage to get a short eared owl along highway 971, near to the cementary
around 7 a.m.
If the burrowing owl is still here, he didn't come out from his hidey hole in
the concrete pile on 356.

Horned larks, American pipets, Vesper Sparrows and Savannahs were all else I
could find, best place
was the 360 turn, wind protected areas, close to road.

Plenty of killdeer, no mountain plovers or longspurs.  bummer

Carolyn Dill
Houston