[texbirds] shorebirding on Thursday 04/24/14 Cameron Co.

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 18:32:51 -0500

Yesterday (Thursday, 04/24/14) we birded four sites in Cameron Co., largely
with the intention of finding shorebirds and, especially, grasspipers. We
had originally thought of going to SPI but winds that seemed even stronger
than forecast made us pessimistic about seeking passerines at such a time.
The sites visited were in order (with approximate times): LA FERIA SOD FIELD
(11:40-11:50 AM); WEAVER ROAD SOD FIELD (12:00 noon - 12:40 PM); LAGUNA
ATASCOSA NWR (OSPREY OVERLOOK) (mid-afternoon); PORT ISABEL RESERVOIR
(5:00 - 5:45 pm); and WEAVER ROAD (7:00-7:30 PM).

LA FERIA SOD FIELD: No shorebird species were found.

WEAVER ROAD SOD FIELD (early afternoon visit): AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER (5);
KILLDEER (2); BLACK-NECKED STILT (1); UPLAND SANDPIPER (1); LEAST SANDPIPER
(12-15); BAIRD'S SANDPIPER (3); PECTORAL SANDPIPER (45-50); and
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER (100+, possibly somewhat more, as my scan, conducted
by scope, having thereby a relatively narrow field, probably missed a number
of individuals). Water was copiously being administered to the field at the
southeast corner, and although some species, especially the Buff-breasted
Sandpipers were spread widely along much of the length of the field, a
majority of the Pectoral Sandpipers, Least Sandpipers, and a few others
seemed to prefer the wetter-that is not to say, necessarily watery-areas of
the field. All of these birds were found in the uniformly grassy and green
second field from the south end of the series of fields on Weaver Road.

LAGUNA ATASCOSA NWR (OSPREY OVERLOOK): Our shorebirding here was confined to
viewing with scope from the covered observation platform. We were surprised
to find so much water in this lake that there was very little usable
shoreline from the perspective of shorebirds. This often can be a productive
site for shorebirds, but, thanks, surely in large part, to the lack of
shoreline, it was very disappointing. The sole shorebird species we found
was LONG-BILLED CURLEW (5) about 35-40% of the distance northward along the
shoreline from the observation deck. Long-billed Curlews often seem to like
that area. They provided a species found at none of our other sites
yesterday.

PORT ISABEL RESERVOIR: Our late afternoon visit here was highly productive
and gratifying: WILSON'S PLOVER (1); BLACK-NECKED STILT (4); GREATER
YELLOWLEGS (5); LESSER YELLOWLEGS (4); WILLET (9); WHIMBREL (13);
SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER (4); WESTERN SANDPIPER (3); LEAST SANDPIPER (6):
DUNLIN (3); STILT SANDPIPER (1); and WILSON'S PHALAROPE (2). Shorebird
species total = 12. Our personal highlight for this site of was the 13
Whimbrel arrayed in a line near the end of a sandy point south of the
outflow pipe from the wastewater facility. They did not seem to be feeding
very much, if at all, but were mainly just looking around or sleeping, never
all of them sleeping or standing vigilant. They seemed tired and ready to
rest, but some might have been staying awake to act as sentinels, vigilant
for possible predators. Aside from shorebirds, two bright ROSEATE
SPOONBILLS, just south of the marsh grass brightened the scene, and
BLACK-BELLIED WHISTLING DUCKS and BLUE-WINGED TEAL were present in small
numbers.

WEAVER ROAD SOD FIELDS (very late day, dusk approaching): The shorebird
species were much as during our morning visit, but the Upland Sandpiper was
not found, and LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS (5) were now present, although they
had not been seen in the morning. The dowitchers stayed in very close
proximity to watery areas. Two or three of them were very handsome, as they
were in full or nearly full breeding plumage. The late day, low-angle sun,
created a peaceful and inspiring scene. These migrants had found fresh water
and food, and that was a rewarding sight for us to see, given the paucity of
such resources at present.

Our total shorebird species for the day was 20. We did not have time to
visit SPI or the TX-48 boat launch, which are sites where we usually find
some additional shorebird species.

Wishing everyone the best of spring-migration birding,
Rex and Birgit Stanford