[texbirds] Re: salvaged birds

  • From: Brush Freeman <brushfreeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kbarnold2@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 15:34:14 -0500

  All: If I can add something,  I am unable to attend this on the 4th due
to a family get together that w/e, if the fourth does not work out I can
meet here again a few  weeks later if this is not a good date.  But this is
a good opportunity to chat with the legendary Dr. Arnold.  I know some of
you are quite a ways from the location but it is fairly central ..Also pls.
let Dr. Arnold know if you have anything in advance so he does not make a
long trip for nada.  The park opens at 8:00AM but I am not sure when Dr.
Arnold wishes to be there.  There was very nice birding there this morning
and should be in migration mode, especially for empids by Aug. 4..

Brush

On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 3:20 PM, Keith Arnold <kbarnold2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Texbirders,
>
> If you have salvaged any birds since Brush last collected such items
> last February, I would like to arrange another "pick-up" at big
> Webberville Park in Travis county.  Tentatively, that would occur on
> Saturday, August 4th.
>
> A reminder on preserving/freezing the specimens: if available, place a
> small amount of non-adsorbing cotton in the throat; place the bird in
> an appropriately sized plastic bag [i.e., try not to bend the tail
> feathers] with a slip of paper that includes the date recovered, the
> locality and your name; if you have a GPS notation, all the better.
> With larger birds, it might help if the paper is placed into a baggie
> and then with the bird.  Once in the plastic bag, roll the bag to
> remove as much air as possible, then place the bird in a freezer. If
> you live near a person with the proper permits [usually someone on my
> permits], try to transfer the bird(s) to that person as soon as
> feasible; you may contact me for the names and contact information.
>
> Keith Arnold
> Bryan/TAMU

Brush Freeman
Independent and affiliated Field Biologist
361-655-7641
http://texasnaturenotes.blogspot.com/
Finca Alacranes., Utley,Texas
The greatest musician of all time is mother nature.