[texbirds] sabine woods

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 13:16:33 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

worked my way from anahuac, through county roads west of winnie to sea rim park where i met a ranger known from my visits to sheldon and finally to sabine woods. after finding the tropical mocker for one birder i decided to visit the drip ... just as greg's experience at don's drip, there was steady bird traffic from about 1:30pm to 6pm when i ran out of camera "ammo."

lots of dickcissels returned to their home at anahuac, singing up a storm

lots of shorebirds in the flooded fields by the county roads

i was hoping for more shorebirds at sea rim but mostly dunlins and sanderlings, a small contingent of avocets and a solo juvenile reddish egret

birds at drip or seen from drip
brown thrasher
yellow billed cuckoo
blue grosbeck
rose breasted grosbeck
indigo bunting
painted bunting

great crested flycatcher
eastern wood pewee

baltimore oriole
orchard oriole

summer tanager
scarlet tanager

red bellied woodpecker (i did not see the golden fronted woodpecker)

bronzed cowbird

carolina wren
dickcissel

common yellowthroat