[texbirds] Re: sabine woodpeckers

  • From: "Ray Porter" <ray.porter314@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 11:05:19 -0500

Please start sending your posts to texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Harlan,

The female Melanerpes appears to be a Golden Fronted in every respect so I don't think there is any question about that bird. However, the male is intriguing as several people have suggested the possibility of a hybrid. First I tried checking for pictures of the Red Bellieds, Golden Fronted (both from guides, internet and my photo library), Florida Red Bellieds and Yucatan Red Bellieds and Red Bellied x Golden Fronteds (I didn;t find any pictures) but none seemed to fit the description. So I found this article and the author's conclusion and designation for what are in her mind hybrids, so quoting from Smith, Julia I. "Evidence of Hybridization Between Red-Bellied Golden-Fronted Woodpeckers." The Condor 89:377-386, "In general, putative male hybrids resemble their female counterparts being characterized by: no tail bars, only white blotches; reddish-orange to orange fronts; orange to yellowish-orange bellies; no gray gap on nape; and no extra lateral color on nape."

Based on that characterization, I think the male Melanerpes is a Red Bellied x Golden Fronted. As a side bar, note she rejected use of rump color, character as diagnostic.

ray porter
highlands texas

Edit your Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at //www.freelists.org/list/texbirds