[texbirds] rice field being flushed in Calhoun Co.

  • From: Petra Hockey <phockey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 14:13:30 -0500

TexBirders,

a big rice field on FM 1289 close to the HW 238 intersection is being flushed.
The water started entering in the back yesterday morning and as of noon today
the compartments in the front, next to the road, are still dry. The field has
already attracted high numbers of birds although the viewing was much less than
ideal due to the strong heat waves. I believe this will be better tomorrow.
A.m. watching is best since the sun is behind your back.

There were lots of plegadis ibis and on 2 I was able to spot the powder blue
facial markings of Glossy. No doubt there are more. In an hour, under the
already mentioned poor viewing conditions, 15 species of shorebirds were
spotted including hundreds of Buff-breasted Sandpipers, many Wilson's
Phalaropes, and at least 1 Hudsonian Godwit. No small shorebirds or plovers
were present but that might well change overnight. A couple of Yellow-headed
Blackbirds and some ridiculously pink Franklin's Gulls were a nice bonus.

The birds should be close to the road by tomorrow a.m. and I plan to check them
out again. FM 1289 has just received a nice shoulder so you can set the scope
up next to the road without hindering traffic or endangering yourself.

Petra Hockey
Port O'Connor, Calhoun Co.