[texbirds] request for winter sightings for North American Birds

  • From: "Mark Lockwood" <Mark.Lockwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <TOS-LIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2013 08:39:34 -0600

Dear Texbirders and TOS members,

The winter reporting season for North American Birds (NAB) has come to an end.
This is a plea/request for observers to submit their interesting Texas
sightings to us in preparation for the Texas portion of the report.

North American Birds is published four times a year by the American Birding
Association and contains seasonal sightings/summaries for just about all
regions of North America, including Canada, the US, Mexico as well as central
America and some of the Caribbean islands.   More information about North
American Birds can be found at:

  http://www.aba.org/nab/

The winter season extends from 1 December to 28 February and we would like to
receive your reports of interesting bird sightings for this period by no later
than 15 March. Please send your sightings DIRECTLY TO The SUB-REGIONAL EDITOR
listed below. Some of you might assume that a Texbirds post, or even an eBird
submission, will be picked up by your NAB sub-regional editor, and will serve
as your contribution. This is not necessarily the case. Not only is it easy to
miss a Texbirds post or eBird submission, we do NOT assume that sightings
posted to those mediums are necessarily intended by the observer as something
that can or should be published in North American Birds.  Therefore, please
report directly to the editor for the area of your sighting, even if it is just
as a carbon-copy (cc or bcc) of a Texbirds report.

Thanks to Bert Frenz, there is a listing of the Texas counties included for
each of the reporting sub-regions at:

  http://www.bafrenz.com/birds/NAB.htm

The names, addresses, and e-mail addresses of each of Texas' North American
Birds sub-regional editors follows.  We encourage you to send your seasonal
sightings and summaries to the appropriate one:

Trans-Pecos: Jim Paton   4325 Boy Scout Lane, El Paso, TX 79922.

      email: jnpaton@xxxxxxx

South Texas: Willie Sekula   7063 Co. Rd. 228, Falls City, TX 78113-2627.

      email: wsekula@xxxxxxxxxx

East Texas: Bert Frenz   221 Rainbow Dr., #12190, Livingston, TX 77399-2021.

      email: bert2@xxxxxxxxxxx

Central Texas: Eric Carpenter   4710 Canyonwood Drive, Austin, TX 78735.

      email: ecarpe@xxxxxxxxx

Northwest Texas (Panhandle, South Plains): Anthony Hewetson  4407 36th St.,
Lubbock TX 79414.

      email: terrverts@xxxxxxxxx

Upper Texas Coast: John Tharp   1617 Fountain View Drive Apt 55, Houston, TX
77057.

      email: jlt290@xxxxxxxxx

North-central Texas: D. D. Currie   2703 Colleen Dr., Arlington, TX 76016.

     email: ddbirder@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

We are encouraging everyone to join us in the process of sharing your
experiences and sightings from your area. You may contribute something of
lasting value; information which would not have been gleaned if not for your
efforts.

Mark

Mark Lockwood

402 E. Harriet Ave.