[texbirds] Re: rare flycatcher 10-5-12

  • From: Greg Page <gregpage1465@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 20:07:17 -0700 (PDT)

The experts are saying Greater Pewee.

________________________________
From: Greg Page <gregpage1465@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Texbirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, October 5, 2012 9:42 PM
Subject: [texbirds] rare flycatcher 10-5-12

Jim Hinson and I found an unusual Flycatcher at Bear Creek today and later Teri
Zambon and I refound it. Jim was the first to spot it while we were on Sullin's
Way at Bear Creek Park in Harris County. We thought it looked unusual but were
not sure what it was. Some have suggested Greater Pewee or Cuban Pewee.

PHOTO 1     http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/8058253039/in/photostream

PHOTO 2     http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/8058255215/in/photostream

PHOTO 3     http://www.flickr.com/photos/gregpage/8058255870/in/photostream

It was larger than an Eastern Wood-Pewee. When Teri and I went back later we
heard it call. I played a recording of an Olive-sided Flycatcher and Greater
Pewee for comparison and it sounded very close to the Greater Pewee but not
exactly like it. It would perch high in a tree and fly out to catch insects and
usually land back in the same spot.

Greg Page
Houston