[texbirds] property rights, access and trespass in the Guadalupe Delta - please read if you want to bird there

  • From: Petra Hockey <phockey@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: TexBirds <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 09:50:21 -0600

TexBirders,

About a week ago a report was posted here about a birding day in the Guadalupe
Delta ("Guadalupe Delta and Goose Island--what a day!"). It was followed the
next day by a link to Flickr showing a series of photos taken that day. I
checked through the photos wanting to help out with the unidentified kingbird
ID (I saw 6 Couch's on River Road a few days ago) and to search for
identifiable photos of the reported 7 Glossy Ibis (photos were not good enough
for specific ID but dark ibis in this area are White-faced with very rarely a
Glossy thrown into the mix).

To my great surprise the photo series showed several photos, some with the
reporter on them, that were clearly taken on private property on a ranch that
is fenced and gated although one gate has been left open on occasion. This
ranch is 2 miles away by road from the southernmost boundary of the Guadalupe
Delta WMA - River Road unit. I don't want to assume the trespass was
intentional but it is hard to believe that all the maps and signs specifying
the boundaries and property situation were overlooked. Many ranch owners and
managers in this area are friendly but very private and trespass is not only
not tolerated but will have serious consequences. It also gives birders in
general a bad reputation and will have repercussions for access in the future.
I know because this area is Brush Freeman's and my section of the Guadalupe
Delta CBC and it took us many years to build up a good relationship with the
landowners.

So, if you want to bird River Road - along which the Guadalupe Delta WMA River
Rd. unit is located - please keep the following in mind:
Once you turn off HW 35 and onto River Road on the west side of the Guadalupe
River (Refugio Co.) the property on the right and left side of the road is
private for about 2 miles. You can only bird from the road and need to pull
your car off to the side to not block it.
A cattle guard and a big wooden sign on the right announces the beginning of
the WMA. If you bird just from the road here you do not need any special permit
but if you want to walk and bird in the riparian stretch between the river and
River Rd. (which is permitted year round) you need a TPWD multiple use permit
that costs $12. About half way down the 2 mile stretch of WMA is a nice big
parking area that gets used by hunters in season. You don't want to block the
numbered parking slots when hunts are going on but there is extra unmarked
space also. A nice big map is posted right at the entrance to the parking area
that outlines the property clearly. Please do take a look. A cattle guard and
fence line further down the road demarcate the end of the public WMA. There are
3! signs here that would take a real effort to overlook: "Boundary Marker" (on
left side of fence), "Cattle on Road" (on right side of fence) and just outside
the fence "all property beyond this point is privately owned and posted". This
last big sign is a bit faded but nevertheless readable.

From here on you can continue for 2 more miles on public road, eventually
taking a left turn over a bridge crossing one arm of the Guadalupe River and
entering Calhoun Co.. You can only bird from the road here and regardless if
gates are open or closed and how tempting it is, do not enter any ranches. I
might mention that the last mile of the road, the stretch after the bridge, is
not graveled and very treacherous when wet.

The Guadalupe Delta is a great birding location. Please let's respect private
property and enjoy it responsibly.

Petra Hockey
Port O'Connor, Calhoun Co.