[texbirds] Re: photo vs mob: I HATE TYPING ON PHONES!

  • From: Tony leukering <greatgrayowl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2013 22:44:39 -0500

All:
My fat thumb hit the send button when I did not intend.

To continue:

The main problem with m.ob. is that few among us can resist the siren song of
an "established" ID.  We tend not to question group wisdom, getting sucked into
smashing windows that the mob feels need smashing or ticking the juvenile
Curlew Sandpiper that, in reality, is a juvenile Stilt Sandpiper.

The list has become so paramount, that we go after reported birds with mental
blinders firmly in place.  Does it really hurt to question authority?  To
actually identify the bird for oneself after going through the full process.

So, yes, way back when, nary an ABA-area field guide illustrated Variegated
Flycatcher.  But, did no one think that the size was off (Variegated is
considerably smaller than Sulphur-bellied)?  Perhaps the bill was WAY too
short?  And thin?  Just because Sulphur-bellied is the only streaked flycatcher
in the guide does not mean that the streaked flycatcher in front of you is a
Sulphur-bellied.  Or Variegated.  Or Piratic.  The m.ob., I think, is only too
willing to go along with the "established" ID.

Sincerely,

Tony

Tony Leukering
Smith Point, TX