[texbirds] of local interest, Brazoria area and San Luis Pass

  • From: Tripp Davenport <tripp.davenport@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 12:21:40 -0500

Sorry about the late post, just returned to Uvalde from upper gulf coast trip
late last night. It might be worthwhile for someone in the area of San Luis
pass to look for a reported great black backed gull from there, yesterday when
crossing the toll bridge, I looked down at the tidal pool on the east back of
the pass and there was a huge gull among the usual gull suspects, first glance
fit GBBG, I cannot make the call as I did not stop on bridge to get a look at
it, but I went back (paying the toll again) and tried to access the tidal pool,
sand was treacherous and cars where stuck, 4wheel drive jeep was struggling, I
turned back...Also right ahead of the storm and heading back inland, I stopped
as a flock of mixed egrets and raptors crossed the highway south of West
Columbia on 35, mixed in with the egrets and vultures was a single
swallow-tailed kite...warbler activity was slow all along the coast, species
number was high (16 species) but only one or two of each species with exception
being yellow-rumped...noteworthy was the appearance of a fos Kentucky warbler
at Sabine Woods...hope that numbers picked up today with last night's storm
activity

Tripp Davenport Uvalde Texas