[texbirds] observation of bird migration using weather forecasting technology, 5/6

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "LABIRD-L" <LABIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 15:51:10 -0500

Yesterday's blow-up of strong thunderstorms stabilized the atmosphere today
and as of early pm showers were small and widely scattered. Reports from
the field indicate a pronounced fallout of migrants in the Hill Country
(where I live!) this morning. I have been trying to put together the NEXRAD
data to see how to explain this and have come up empty. All the few
trans-Gulf species fallouts I have seen here (Driftwood in Hays County)
have been past May 5th, but otherwise I cannot explain it. As the season
winds down I will keep my reports to interesting situations only and skip
days with little activity.

John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory