[texbirds]

  • From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 15:07:06 -0500

Greetings All:
I will submit my full report of this year's game (how many species I
can find in my region) for May separately but I figured that I should
let folk know how things are going with me and my region (Bailey,
Lamb, Hale,Floyd, Motley, Cochran, Hockley, Lubbock, Crosby, Dickens,
Yoakum, Terry,Lynn, Garza, and Kent) versus Rich Kostecke and his
region (Bell,Williamson, Travis, Falls, Milam, Lee, Burleson,
Washington, Fayette, Brazos, Austin, Colorado, Madison, Grimes,
Waller).

By the end of May Rich had tallied 254 species in his region and I
was at 254 for my region. To be fair, Rich spent huge chunks of the
month out of his region (hence adding only 13 species) whereas I
birded my region with extreme prejudice (adding 43 species) - and
most likely picked up a lot of May migrants that Rich had already
snagged in April.

I suspect this tie to be very brief in nature.  In fact, he is
probably well ahead of me already as I have added only a single
species to my tally so far during June.

At the end of January he was safely ahead of me (137 to 98), by the
end of February I was gaining a bit (167 to 135), by the end of
March I had gained on him a bit more (196 to 167) by the end of
April he was whomping my butt again (241 to 211), May was May, and
Rich still has seven months left to make me suffer.

On the other hand, my region is getting water and I might just be
able to put up a better fight than either of us thought at the
beginning of the year.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson, Lubbock.