[texbirds] massed Western Sandpipers (09/14/14) on rain-flooded flats off TX-4 near Boca Chica

  • From: "Rex Stanford" <calidris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TEXBIRDS" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 21:39:40 -0500

Yesterday (September 14, 2014), intrigued by what might have been the
consequences for shorebirds and waders of the very recent substantial rains
in south Texas and despite skies that often were threatening but actually
were rainy only occasionally, we visited several locales from McAllen to
Boca Chica Beach. We realized that the bad weather, both here and north of
here, might have put a damper-pun intended-on southbound migration, we
wanted, anyhow, to see what was and was not out there. Because there was
substantial standing water and even flooding in many spots not traditionally
attractive to birders, we made use of every opportunity to inspect flooded
areas for whatever birds--duck, waders, and/or shorebirds--had found those
spots useful.

The overall result was that yesterday was minimally productive of birds in
such locales. We visited many of the sites we visit on our shorebird runs,
but the results generally were very poor. As a last hope for something
interesting we drove TX-4 from Brownsville to the Boca Chica beach, and it
was along that highway that we came upon a very striking occurrence of
WESTERN SANDPIPER, by far the largest aggregation of that species that we
personally had experienced, and that species was the only shorebird of any
genus present at that location. Here are some details.

As one travels east on TX-4, shortly before one reaches the westernmost end
of the long (and, often, somewhat ephemeral) bay on the south side of TX-4
that signals the approach to Boca Chica Beach, one sees on one's right
(i.e., to the south) an unpaved road with a large house and several tall
palms immediately to west of it. (This is the unpaved road east of which,
near TX-4, birders from the Rio Grande Valley Birding Festival a couple of
years ago saw a Fork-tailed Flycatcher.) Yesterday, almost immediately after
passing that side road, we noticed, south of TX-4 and adjacent to it, a very
large rain-flooded area. It was covered with many dozens of small calidris
sandpipers, so we immediately pulled to the side of the road to study them.
They waded, often up to or very near their bellies, in the substantial
rainwater, looking very erect and elegant with their largely medium-gray
topsides, pure white undersides, and black legs, handsome birds who poked
their long, evenly tapered, slightly droop-tipped, bills deeply into the
water, sometimes submerging their heads up to above the eyes. Of those
blackish legs often only the upper tibiae were visible above the water, and
sometimes their bare parts were entirely beneath the water. These handsomely
birds had nicely tapered bodies fronted by a substantially "chesty" front
end, creating a strikingly athletic look, in the most appreciative sense of
that word. Their black, evenly tapered and strikingly long bills brought an
air of elegance to these refined, clean-looking birds.

Here were dozens and dozens of Western Sandpipers, often with neatly
scalloped scapulars and wing coverts, and due to their numbers they easily
could be viewed, simultaneously, from virtually from every angle and in
every posture normal to them. Very important, these were not static
photo-type images, but living, moving reality, the kind of dynamic scene
that a lover of shorebirds deeply appreciates, one that lets the mind steep
in the rich, full, behavioral panoply of the species' reality. What is more,
species identification is far less likely to fail when the mind has been
steeped in such a scenario. For us, it was a delectable treat, and we only
wished that other birders could have been present to enjoy with us this
richly informative scenario. We estimated roughly 120-140 of this species
when we stopped in this area to study them as we headed east; on our
westbound return, late in the afternoon, some of the group evidently had
moved on-some of the species now were seen on the north side of the road in
South Bay. Nonetheless, a single wide-angle photo of some of those on the
south side disclosed 43 individuals, but did not cover quite a few who
remained outside the camera's reach.

We recognized on site that the bills of these Western Sandpipers were long
bills, even for this species, and that this group of them, on account of
those long bills, arguably might have been composed largely, if not
entirely, of females. Western Sandpiper females leave the breeding grounds
prior to the males (and, hence, travel separately), and females of that
species tend to winter farther south than the males (authoritative reference
citations available on request).

Further east along TX-4, before reaching the gulf-side beach, we spotted and
identified on the south-side beach only SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (1) and GREATER
YELLOWLEGS (1). While parked at the entrance to Boca Chica Beach and viewing
the beach we additionally found PIPING PLOVER (1, an attractive, topside
very-light-gray ghost, very aggressive in driving away intruders and
sometimes so speedy it could be hard to track), RUDDY TURNSTONE (1), and
SANDERLING (several). We had found far more individual shorebirds and
species along TX-4 on a visit only a week before.

In sum, we hit upon a superb day for Western Sandpipers, but a very poor day
for shorebirds in general. We completed the day, though, elated at having
seen by far the largest aggregation of this particular species that we ever
had seen, all in one location and without other species anywhere around.
These individuals were attractive and, as mentioned earlier, often had neat
fringes on the topside feathers. Possibly they were juveniles, but seeing
(and photographing) any rufous scapular color that might have been on these
individuals (as on fresh juveniles of this species) was made problematic
yesterday, thanks to a very overcast sky.

Wishing everyone the best of birding,
Rex and Birgit Stanford