[texbirds] male Painted Bunting Kingsland and hawk id help

  • From: David Bryant <highlandbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 06:00:41 -0700 (PDT)

I saw the first painted bunting of the season here this morning.  He must have
taken advantage of the strong south winds.  There are strong north winds here
now so he may stay and rest awhile.

I had a hawk on the ground in my back yard yesterday.  It had belly spots and
white feathers across the back so it may have been a Red-tailed although there
didn't seem to be any red in the tail.  My best guess is a light morph Kriders
or Harlan.  I would appreciate any thoughts.  I put some pictures at the
following url.

https://picasaweb.google.com/104550265337470389424/Hawk#
David Bryant
Kingsland TX