[texbirds] Re: locations on eBird during RGV Festival

  • From: Cameron Carver <c.o.carver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 22:13:16 -0600

While the app does not allow for generic locations, it is not all that
difficult to create checklists for each individual site and then use the "Trip
Summary" feature (IOS only I believe) or the "Summary Tables" feature on the
website to tally daylists.

I know that can be a lot to ask due to the hectic nature of the festival, but
it is both good eBird practice and courteous to anxious county listers and
twitchers.

Cameron Carver
Oklahoma City, OK

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 4, 2015, at 21:13, Mary Gustafson (Redacted sender "live4birds" for
DMARC) <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The problem seems to be that the app won't let you choose a generic location,
Dan. I know guides are moving lists to county or state sites. I think a
little patience will see the locations correctly plotted. Wednesday Big Day
vans are the worst for that. The rest of the week should be easier.

Mary Gustafson
Mission tx

Sent from my iPad

On Nov 4, 2015, at 8:57 PM, (Redacted sender "antshrike1" for DMARC)
<dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've notice that birders visiting the RGV for the Festival and also local
birders are pretty much butchering their locations on their submitted eBird
lists. This includes guides leading field trips. What's up with that? If
you bird at one site then use that site as your location. But if you bird
several sites in a county then use that county (Cameron, Hidalgo, etc) as
your site and if you bird more than one county then use Texas as your
location. eBird allows that. Anzalduas Greater Pewee are showing up as
being in Harlingen on Fair Park Blvd and American Oystercatchers and Piping
Plovers are being listed in Hidalgo County. There is absolutely no excuse
for this. What poor eBirding. Use the right location. It's not that hard.

Dan Jones, Weslaco