[texbirds] Re: [leasbirds] Lubbock Area Christmas Bird Counts - Third Announcement

  • From: James Crites <jrcrites@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 10:46:29 -0600

Anthony,
I will help with the White River Lake CBC.
Jim
Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 19, 2015, at 8:43 AM, Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings All:

Of the three counts held in my region, the Lubbock County CBC (held on the
19th) is experiencing the most trouble. Five experienced birders that I was
counting on have had to drop out which has stretched things a bit thin. I
have consolidated the number of areas down to seven (from eight) but am in
dire need of at least three more experienced birders and can always use more
counters.

Water levels are good throughout the region - it looks to be a good year for
water-loving rarities at regional lakes and playas. Seed, fruit, insect, and
small mammal numbers have also been good - this should result in an increase
in both numbers and diversity of upland birds, including some of our oddball
winter songbirds. It looks to be a good year for folk working on their
Century Club lists to make the journey up this way.

The Lubbock County CBC will be held on Saturday, 19 December 2015.
Participants meet with their team leaders at a mutually agreed upon site at
7:30, birding goes until approximately 5:00, a potluck supper/countdown is
held at 5:00. I would like to have at least 21 participants, including 7
people willing to serve as area leaders. Currently I have:
Area 1 - City Farms and Northeast - Anthony Hewetson
Area 2 - V8 Ranch, Buffalo Springs Lake, Ransom Lake - Justin Bosler
Area 3 - Northwest - Rob Lee
Area 4 - Canyon Lakes - Phillip Kite, Laurie Foss, Charles Grair, Ellen
Hildebrandt
Area 5 - Lubbock West - Tom SoRelle, Jackie Driskill?
Area 6 - Lubbock East - William Wenthe, Jan Jannett
Area 7 - South Central and Southwest - Abbie Ince

The Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge CBC will be held on Sunday, 20 December
2015. Participants meet at the refuge residence at 7:30, birding goes until
noon (the count is area restricted - only takes four hours to complete), and
a potluck lunch/ countdown is held at the residence at noon. I would like to
have at least 12 participants, including 4 people willing to serve as area
leaders. Currently I have:
Area 1 - East of Highway 214 - Anthony Hewetson
Area 2 - North of the Rim - Rob Lee, Abbie Ince
Area 3 - The Slope and Goose Lakes - Phillip Kite, Charles Grair, Ellen
Hildebrandt
Area 4 - Headquarters and White Lakes - Justin Bosler, Jackie Driskill?,
Laurie Foss, Jan Jannett

The White River Lake CBC will be held on Saturday, 2 January 2016.
Participants will meet at the White River Lake Marina at 7:30, counting goes
until 5:00, and a hot supper/countdown is held at the White River Lake Marina
at 5:00. I would like to have at least 15 participants, including 5 people
willing to serve as area leaders. Currently I have:
Area 1 - The Great North Woods - Rich Kostecke
Area 2 - The East and Southeast - Anthony Hewetson
Area 3 - The Lake, East - Phillip Kite, Jan Jannett
Area 4 - The Lake, West - Justin Bosler, Jackie Driskill?
Area 5 - The West and Southwest - Rob Lee

If you are interested in participating in one or more of these counts, please
let me know as soon as is possible via e-mail or phone (806-252-1213). There
has already been a good influx of some interesting winter species and with
water levels good throughout the region, all three counts should be very good
this year.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson; Lubbock