[texbirds] king rail, bitterns, terns and shorebird pictures, Anahuac and Bolivar

  • From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 4 Texbirds Maillist <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:44:30 -0500

Last Friday one of the Anahuac rail people took great dislike to me and
walked out of the reeds along the road complaining loudly.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687879
It kept calling and fidgeting
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687878

And at this point got set and charged my feet without pulling my shoelaces
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687876

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687875

It returned to the edge and started calling again
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687872

and then got ready and charged again. This time I left
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687870

American bitterns were calling and apparently moving through as there were
many here and on the bolivar peninsula. Many almost too close to photograph
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687855

But you can take pictures of parts of them
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687851

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687853

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687854

And my first least bittern
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687838

the male boat-tailed grackles are putting on great displays
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687845

Lots of posturing with wing flapping
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687842

and posing
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687844

Marsh wrens are singing
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687837

A corner of shoveler pond had lots of both night herons, here a
yellow-crowned
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687836

There were migrants at high island but one had to work to see them
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687835

Some of the large Chambers County brewer's blackbird flock
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687821

Starlings are sunbathing. This bird does not have an entirely yellow beak
yet
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687819

Spotted sandpipers are now very spotted
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687817

and hunch down when they spot prey
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687814

And makes it hard to be a mystery bird
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687812

Red knots on the beach are getting red
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687802

But some are still gray too
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687800

Common terns are starting to look very springlike
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687806

When I first saw this one, it appeared to be a black-billed bird and its
off wing was twisted in the wind so it looked like a long tail but not to be
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687807

Whimbrels are in most wet spots
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687798

And this wilson's plover is on territory where a pair has met me for
several years
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149687796

At home, the wilson's warbler male is singing up a storm but the 2 females
have gone or not using the feeder. They are the shyest birds I have ever
had at the yard and have never acclimated to having people anwhere near or
moving.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149628330

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149628329

One or two of the goldfinches can imitate the call very well. Also one does
a good parula song. But they do not mimic as well as siskins. A couple of
siskins have passed by but not stayed.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149628326

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149628325

There have been 3 migrations of goldfinch people in the last 10 days. 2 at
night and one at 3:31. Prior to leaving they gathered in a couple of
treetops and sang loudly with a high pitched call than normal and then all
took off at one time. Sort of like dickcissels leaving.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149628323

A pine warbler is carrying food for the first time since I have been here.
The nest is not real close as I do not hear the male singing. They do nest
about a mile to the west.
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149628311

And there is a hook-billed house sparrow
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149628301

It is able to feed normally
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/149628302

Lots more pictures to see at