[texbirds] incoming missle sound

  • From: "LMarkoff" <canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <TX-HUMMER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 07:46:18 -0500

With light barely coming up and hums coming into feeders I heard one with a
wing whistle that sounded like an incoming missile.  It was promptly chased
away by the adult male Ruby-throated who is ruling the feeders right now.  I
heard it twice before he chased it away.  I am now on watch to see if I can
get a look at it, but the Ruby-throated is standing picket right now, so it
may not be able to get in here again.

Am wondering if it might be a Broad-tailed?  If so, it would be a first for
this yard.

Lori Markoff
far southwest Austin