[texbirds] Re: in memory of Doris Wyman - friend and birding mentor

  • From: "Bird.fried" <bird.fried@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "phockey@xxxxxxxx" <phockey@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 21:42:29 -0600

Petra,

Thank you very much for such a nice tribute to Doris Wyman though it is sad to
hear of her passing.  I too remember how Mrs Wyman ( I was just a pimple-faced
teenager at the time) took great interest in mentoring me as a new birder and
naturalist during the 70's.  She and Bill were almost always at Golden Crescent
Nature Club (GCNC) meetings and on field trips, offering their birding
expertise and encouragement.  I have many fond memories of being in the field
with them and with other great folks from the GCNC.

On one occasion, Mrs Wyman allowed me to join them (she and Bill) on a GCNC
field trip to the Falcon Dam SP.  On this trip, a target species was Pauraque.
She said that we would drive park roads after dark looking for the red eyes of
the birds in the headlights.  She explained that the birds rest on the park
roads, 'flycatching' hapless insects that fly by.  As I recall we did not find
Pauraque on that trip but on a subsequent trip to Bentsen RIo Grande SP, when
you could still drive the roads and camp in the park.  Regardless, the 'chase'
was all part of the fun and the 'chase' afforded Mrs. Wyman the opportunity to
teach and share her knowledge of the birds that she loved.

As you say, Mrs. Wyman most enjoyed being in her own patch, Calhoun County.  In
March 1973 (noted in my "Birder's Life List and Diary"), a Burrowing Owl
appeared in an atrium area near Mrs. Wyman's chemistry classroom at the, then
new, Port Lavaca High School.  She got permission from the school to invite us
out to see the bird up-close, but of course between classes.  We enjoyed great
looks at the BUOW and Mrs. Wyman was obviously thrilled to share this 'find'
with us, her fellow faculty and her chemistry students.

Mrs. Wyman certainly had a positive and lasting impact on the birding interests
and indeed the lives of many people over the years; in her chemistry classroom,
in GCNC meetings and on field trips, in community activities and among
landowners and others of influence in Calhoun and neighboring counties.  Mrs.
Wyman lived life well and she will definitely be missed.  May her legacy be
lasting and may she live long in our memories!

Bob Friedrichs
Palacios
Golden Crescent Nature Club, former member

Sent from my iPad