[texbirds] fw: Re: [LABIRD-L] Subject: Flower Garden Banks

  • From: "John Arvin" <jarvin@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "New Texbirds" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 13:08:53 -0500

If he has data this Razorbill may be in Texas waters.
John C. Arvin
Research Associate
Gulf Coast Bird Observatory
103 West Hwy 332
Lake Jackson, TX 77566
jarvin@xxxxxxxx
www.gcbo.org

Austin, Texas

Date: Mon Mar 18 2013 10:53 am
From: dinets AT gmail.com

Dear All,

I went on a diving trip to Flower Garden Banks Nat'l Marine Sanctuary

last weekend. It's outside state waters, but still might be of

interest to LA birders. The weather was rough and diving totally

sucked due to unusually poor visibility, but there were a few birds,

some of them unexpected:

1 American coot, floated near one of our buoys at Stetson Bank for at

least an hour, looking lost.

1 Razorbill, sitting on the water near East Bank, looking normal.

1 Northern gannet, flyby, at Stetson. It is not on the Sanctuary bird

list for some reason.

A dozen or so laughing gulls.

2 royal terns.

1 distant jaeger.

No tubenoses. A flock of small birds flew by; could be phalaropes, but

they were very far away in very poor light.

Also got Gervais' beaked whales and Clymene dolphins.

--

Vladimir Dinets

Research Associate

Louisiana State University