[texbirds] Re: ebird and other communications

  • From: Vicki Crutchfield <vicki_crutchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 06:43:20 -0800 (PST)

E-Bird is where I record my lists and to check for what is being seen in an
area of interest to me.
Texbirds is great for the indepth discussions of what is being seen. I learn a
lot from those discussions, and occasionally perhaps more than occasionally I
have an opinion and probably more often than I should I express that opinion.

NARBA-Texas is a great source for "verified" rares. But personally I like
hunting for myself so i don't mind the occasional "wild goose" chase.

It does not hurt to scan bird forums of the surrounding states. Because a bird
in Louisiana close to the border may show up in Orange County, or a Bird seen
migrating through Arkansas may show up Houston.

Facebook, just because. Facebook is not my first place to check for potential
birds I want to see. But it is an excellent place to encourage new birders or
recruit new birders. A lot of people who might be intimidated by Texbirds -
e-mail forum, probably would feel comfortable with Texbirds - Facebook. And
some marvelous pictures get posted to Facebook.

I read a wonderful distinction not long ago between a birdwatcher and a birder.
A birdwatcher looks at birds; a birder hears, sees, observes behaviour, and
studies eating habits.

But it occurs to me that narrowing one's field of search can occur for many
reasons, but networking is a wonderful resource for any endeavor.

Vicki Crutchfield
Live Houston (Harris County)
and work in Galveston, (Galveston County)

Cell : 409-789-1178