[texbirds] early arriving Lucifer Hummingbirds

  • From: Kelly Bryan <kelly.b.bryan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 20:18:43 -0600

Texbirders,
Two Lucifer Hummingbirds, a male and a female, were observed in Terlingua
Ranch on Saturday afternoon, February 23rd.  That is the earliest date on
record for arriving Lucifers.  The female is banded and likely the male.
He did not waste any time, by evening he was already exhibiting courtship
displays to the female.  Looks like they beat the Turkey Vultures back this
year!

There are still Anna's Hummingbirds here in west Texas.  We will be doing a
banding round tomorrow morning to see just how many.  I still predict this
is a good year to look for nesting Anna's in west Texas.  There are only
three nesting records for Texas, two from El Paso and one from Jeff Davis
County.  KBB

--
Kelly B Bryan
Fort Davis, Texas

To follow the progress of my hummingbird project go to:
http://westtexashummingbirds.com/
To support this project, other bird projects and our educational outreach
in west Texas go to:  http://www.westtexasavianresearch.org/