[texbirds] eBirding the Collared Plover - Hotspot YES - and more

  • From: "Mary Gustafson" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "live4birds@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2014 18:46:53 -0400 (EDT)

The hotspot for the Hargill Playa is now up.  If you have used a personal
location or the generic "Hargill area" location please consider using the
hotspot for the playa.

Hidalgo County is an interesting area for shorebirds, but some species are
harder to find than you might think for those of us that county list in Hidalgo
County.  Please identify Short-billed Dowitchers with care as Long-billed is
the more abundant species at this location.  Notes on the identification of
claimed Short-billeds to  eliminate Long-billed would be appreciated.
White-rumped Sandpiper and Dunlin would both be exceptional finds and need to
be carefully documented at this season.  I'll try to keep up with reviewing
records on a daily basis for now.

Note that normally Wilson's and Snowy Plovers are not  on the Hidalgo county
filters.   I've added them temporarily with a count of 1 and I will remove them
again and review all the records once the Collared Plover departs.  I know it's
easy to forget them if they are not on the filter.  Snowy Plover are expected
only on the salt lakes of northern Hidalgo county.  The Hargill Playa is the
best location for Wilson's Plover in the county, they are exceptional
elsewhere.

Please do keep reporting your observations of the Collared Plover so we can
update the information for others to use.

Note that I have heard that birders have been parking to block the gates on 1st
street.  Please do not block the gates at this or any other site.  This is a
working farming area.  Please  park in town near the paved road and walk out
the dirt lane most especially if there is a crowd present.  If there  is
parking on the dirt road it would be very polite to leave the space nearer the
bird for those with limited mobility.

There is a small store in town at the main intersection for those needing a
cold beverage or a snack.

Mary Gustafson
Mission, Texas