[texbirds] comment on Fuerte's Oriole at Hook's Woods

  • From: Carolyn Dill <carolyn_dill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Texbirds \(texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx\)" <texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 07:25:25 -0700 (PDT)

This section of the upper Texas coast from Hook's to Sabine Woods, seems to get
a few rare reports of Mexican species now and then. I remember the Tropical
Mockingbird and I also remember an unconfirmed case of Mangrove Vireo. We might
well get more such reports if our Texbirders were aware they should study a
Mexican bird book and then be on the look out for them, especially if
consistent strong winds could push birds from the Yucatan Penns. to here. Such
winds are more likely in tropical storm season, when most of us are no longer
birding much on the coast, most late spring migrants gone, and the mosquitoes,
flies increase their misery on anyone who dares to bird in the summer.
Carolyn Dill
Houston