[texbirds] Re: can you tell what are these skimmers doing?/new hints

  • From: MBB22222@xxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 02:01:58 -0400 (EDT)

First, thanks for all off line emails.
Also it seems that skimmer photo sparked more than average interest
(unexpected) but there was no correct answer yet (sort of expected). A few
(expected but incorected) behaviors were proposed. Although I have learned long

time ago that many single photos showing behavior can be very misleading it
is  just one more proof that one might have probably even more problems to
identify  behavior (from photo) than when trying to ID  some difficult species
from photographs.  I stopped to trust suggestions of behavior based on
single photo or descriptions  based on short observations. Like some listers
see
what they want to see some  observers will try to classified shortly
observed scene base on the ‘best match’  or even worse will try to find
similarity to human reactions.
In mean time, before I post complete photo series in couple of  days, here
are a few more photos to add more pieces to the puzzle (and to  eliminate
some proposed behaviors).
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/144745411_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/144745411)
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/144745414_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/144745414)
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/144745415_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/144745415)
and a few more here:
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/black_skimmer_pair__behavior__quiz_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/black_skimmer_pair__behavior__quiz)
Mark B Bartosik
Houston, Texas
http://www.pbase.com/mbb/from_the_field

In a message dated 7/14/2012 2:22:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
MBB22222@xxxxxxx writes:

Perhaps some have seen this behavior before and know what this  pair (male
and female) of Black Skimmers is doing.  I guess it is some kind of quiz for
 those who are curious. Skimmers are known for having rich repertoire of
many  interesting behaviors. So, can you tell what they are  doing?
_http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/144735560_
(http://www.pbase.com/mbb/image/144735560)