[texbirds] Re: can someone help this great blue heron

  • From: Heidi Trudell <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blubayou2001@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:57:46 -0600

Ouch. Unfortunately, most wildlife rehabbers don't have the time or
means to track down birds that are still on the loose - and herons and
egrets are incredibly dangerous to 'help' becuase they tend to be
defensive and those beaks can be deadly (people have died after being
speared while trying to rescue injured herons).

If at all possible, monitor the bird and if it is slowing down enough
to be caught, call for backup - TPWD doesn't generally like this sort
of adventure, but it's in their job description if a rehabber is
unable to help. Don't try it alone. Can't emphasize that enough!

Good luck!

-h

Heidi Trudell
Marathon, TX

--

Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary
necessities. - Mark Twain