[texbirds] Re: calling birds

  • From: David Sarkozi <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cn40lsl@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 12:49:29 -0600

I'm not sure if there is a specific ban on it. It is usually covered
under harassment of wildlife and so there is always an element of
local interpretation on that. That said, I would say it is not ethical
to do it in a state park ever because the parks are often high traffic
places and so there is a very definite potential for over use.

I am not at all against the use of recordings for calling in birds,
but one must think about where when they are used. If I am birding
back roads or on private property where I'm likely going to be the
only one doing it all season, I don't think causes harm. Its not that
records are harmful in them self, but the over use of them that's the
problem. But in a state park things are different, there are likely
many birders passing through.

Imagine this scenario, you decided to play a short recording to see if
you can locate the Solitary Little Brown Job. You're by yourself so
you play a quick recording, it pops up and high fives all around.
You're on your way to your next chase. 5 minutes after you leave
another person comes by and tries the same thing. That can potentially
go on sunrise to sunset with each person in turn unaware of the the
other.  There is a potential impact for the recordings in this case.

My personal rule is never to use recordings in these kinds of public hotspots.

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM, Charlotte Norton <cn40lsl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is it permissible to call birds in the State Parks?
> Thanks,
> Charlotte Norton

David Sarkozi
Houston, TX