[texbirds] Re: bronzed cowbird amazing behavior, Lake Casa Blanca birds

  • From: Holly Reinhard <holly.reinhard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blubayou2001@xxxxxxxxx" <blubayou2001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2013 21:29:54 -0500

Theresa and all,

I have witnessed this display of Bronzed Cowbirds a few times at Lake Casa
Blanca SP here in Laredo. The first time I saw this, I was with three fellow
birders at LCB as we were doing our big day for the Great Texas Birding
Classic. We watched, all of us too stunned to snap a photo, and after the
Cowbird landed, we exclaimed, "did you see that!!"s and "wow!"s.

Very cool!

As for other birds at Lake Casa Blanca, I've seen several Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers nesting, as well as one Western Kingbird nest as well. A Lesser
Nighthawk was hanging out with its fluffy chick a few weeks ago.
I had the fun of birding with Dave Petee from Massachusetts at the park on
Sunday, and he spotted a WHITE IBIS on Ranchito Road ponds. We also had two
Groove-billed Anis along the same road, one building a nest.

White-collared Seedeaters continue to sing and perch fairly visibly near
Ranchito Road as well, and I had two Yellow-breasted Chats on Friday.

Good birding all,

Holly Reinhard
Laredo

Sent from my iPhone