[texbirds] Re: birdwatcher or birder or ?

  • From: Ronnie Kramer <ronniekramer1964@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: canyoneaglej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 06:19:51 -0600

Yes that sounded a bit 180 at best to me.  20 years ago birding was
understood to be a competitive sport.  Listing, counting, big days, etc.
Once you see the bird and id it, move on to another spot and tick something
else.
Birdwatcher is an older term that refers to someone who is interested in
looking at birds.  It includes people who are casually interested as well
as naturalists.  Keeping lists originally was nothing more then keeping
records.  When those records became a goal in themselves, the sport of
birding appeared.

I don't think it's an "Are you a birder or a birdwatcher?"  If you travel
with the goal or hope of ticking lifers, county birds, etc., you are a
birder.  If you try to see the interactions, behavior, etc and learn about
the birds ecology, you are a naturalist.  Both are birdwatchers as well is
the person who keep a pair of bins handy when in the backyard to look at
the common birds under the feeder.

At least that's they way I've always understood the terms.

~Ronnie Kramer, Austin