[texbirds] birds at the Nature Discovery Center in Russ Pitman Park, Bellarie

  • From: birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 16:39:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everyone,

Yesterday afternoon we had a small flock of the following migrants at the
Nature Discovery Center in Russ Pitman Park, Bellaire:

Black & white Warbler - 2
Yellow Warbler - 1
Canada W - 1
American Redstart - 1 juv M
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher -1
Empid - 1 (probably a Yellow-bellied Flycatcher)

We also had at least one Ruby-throated Hummer

Today I have not been able to birdwatch but I saw another Ruby-throated Hummer
and someone reported the Canada was still here.

I also wanted to invite you all to our free Swift Night Out event this Thurs.
evening Sept. 5th, 2013 starting at 7:30 pm. Come and join the fun!  Bring lawn
chairs and mosquito repellent if you wish.

Although we do not have huge numbers of Chimney Swifts, they do fly really low
here right over our heads so it's easy to get a good look at them before they
enter the chimneys. Last night I counted 23 enter one of our chimneys here!

We will have water and snacks donated by Whole Foods Bellaire!

Check our website link for more details:
http://www.naturediscoverycenter.org/swift-night-out-events

The Nature Discovery Center is located in Russ Pitman Park in Bellaire TX at
7112 Newcastle between Bellaire Blvd and Evergreen St just inside Loop 610.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann Beauchemin
Senior Naturalist & Park Steward
Nature Discovery Center
mbeauch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
713-667-6550 (phone)
713-667-7654 (fax)

For more information about the Nature Discovery Center, our programs and how
you can support our work, visit www.naturediscoverycenter.org